· 3 boxes (1 ounce each) cinnamon sticks
· 6 whole nutmegs (1 ounce)
· 1/3 cup each chopped dried orange and lemon peel
· 1/4 cup each whole allspice and whole cloves
· 2 Tbs. finely chopped, crystallized ginger (1 ounce)
1. Cut doubled layers of cheesecloth into fourteen 5-inch squares. Have fourteen 10-inch-long pieces plain white string ready.
2. Put cinnamon sticks and nutmegs in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or a small heavy skillet until broken in small pieces. Mix with remaining ingredients.
3. Tie 3 generous tablespoonfuls in each cheesecloth square. Makes 14 bags.
To mull wine, stir 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar in a 1-1/2 to 2-quart pan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add 3-1/4 cups wine and the spice bag. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat very gently until mixture is very hot but not boiling, about 20 minutes. Discard spice bag.
To mull cider, just add spice bag to 8 cups apple cider in a 2-1/2 to 3-quart pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 to 35 minutes. Discard spice bag.
(Each spice bag holds enough to mull a 750 ml bottle of red wine - about 3-1/4 cups - or a half gallon - 8 cups - apple cider.)
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!