From Patricia's Homepage
It's a wonderful and aromatic first course--distinctively Greek; serve hot to 6-8 people.
· 6 cups chicken stock
· 1 whole chicken breast, boned, skinned, and halved
· the zest of 1 lemon, grated
· 2/3 cup long grain rice
· 1/4 cup lemon juice
· 3 egg yolks
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint (or 1 teaspoon dried mint)
· 1 teaspoon oregano, rubbed into the soup between your palms
· 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
· 1 teaspoon grated black pepper or to your taste
· whipped yogurt
1. In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil, reduce heat, add the chicken breast with half the lemon zest. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken, let cool, then slice finely.
3. Bring the stock to a boil again, add the rice, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
4. Return the chicken to the soup and let simmer while preparing the avgolemono sauce.
5. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, remaining zest, and egg yolks in a small bowl. Stir into the simmering soup until it clouds and thickens a bit. Stir in the mint, oregano, parsley, and pepper.
6. Season to taste, then ladle into bowls and top with a little whipped yogurt. Serve immediately.
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!