CARAWAY-SEED SOUP <THICK BROWN SOUP> - Proven family recipe
· Serve 4 ·
· 3 decagram of cooking fat
· approx. 5 decagram of flour
· 1/2 decagram of caraway seed
· 1,5 litre water
· salt to your taste
· 1/2 decagram Hungarian paprika (preferably sweet)
· 2 rolls
1. Soften the lard, or other cooking fat on medium heat, until soft but not hot. Add the flour mixing continuously. Slowly, on small or medium heat fry the flour until light browned (like the rolls).
2. Add the caraway seeds, mix in the hot flour to be crackled, mixing all the time. (do not overbrown the flour!).
3. Pull away from the heat, wait for a minute, and then mix with the paprika. Add some cold water (~ 0.3 litre) and mix until smooth. Add the remaining water (preferably hot) and cook over medium heat, stirring until boiling. Reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain and serve hot. You can offer with toasted diced bread, or rolls, fried in margarine.
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!