Makes approximately 4 tablespoons
This powder is a combination of five ground spices and can be found in most supermarkets. Kosher brands of five spice powder are difficult to find, but it is easy to prepare your own. Use ground spices when available and grind the Sichuan peppercorns and star anise, which are not usually available around.
· 2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns
· 8 star anise, or 4 teaspoons ground anise
· half teaspoon ground cloves
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
1. In a dry skillet, roast the peppercorns by shaking the pan over low to medium heat until the aroma of the peppercorns is released, about 3 minutes.
2. Grind the roasted peppercorns and star anise separately in a blender or a spice mill. Strain. Mix in other spices and grind again until very fine. Store in an airtight container.
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!