Safeway- Successful cooking - page 21
· Serves 4 ·
· 50 g (2 oz) butter or margarine
· 2 large onions skinned and sliced
· 2 x 15 ml tbs plain white flour
· 900 ml (1 1/2 pt) beef stock
· salt and pepper 1 bay leaf
· 4 slices of French bread
· 75 g (3 oz) Gruyere cheese, grated
1. Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onions for 5-10 minutes, until browned.
2. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Remove pan from the heat and gradually stir in the stock, seasoning and bay leaf. Bring to the boil slowly and continue to cook, stirring, until thickened. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Adjust the seasoning.
3. Put a slice of bread into each individual soup bowl, pour the soup over the bread and top with cheese.
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!