Bean Soup in Mór Jókai Style
Source: Kádas Lajos - HÍRES EMBEREK - HÍRES ÉTELEK és a VILÁGHÍRÛ MAGYAR ÉTELEK
· 400 gram dried beans
· 400 gram frankfurter (debreceni sausage)
· 1 smoked hand of pork (~ 500 gram)
· ~ 2 litre of water
· 100 gram lard
· 80 gram flour
· 6 dl sour cream
· 200 gram cleaned carrot
· 150 gram cleaned parsley root, sliced
· 120 gram cleaned celery root, sliced
· 60 gram cleaned onion, chopped
· 200 gram green bell-pepper, diced
· 100 gram tomato, diced
· 2 bay-leaves
· salt, Hungarian paprika
· 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
· homemade pasta bits (csipetke) made from 1 egg and about 2/3 cup--or 10 decagrams--flour
1. Soak the beans for one day in cold water. Cook the smoked hand of pork until tender. In a large soup kettle (stock-pot) sauté the onion in hot lard, then mix in the sliced vegetables and continue frying for some minutes.
2. Pour in the bean and the soaking water, add the cooking liquid of the smoked hand of pork, the green pepper, tomato and the bay-leaves, and salt to your taste. Keep warm the meat.
3. Fry the sausages, and then slice. Using the fat fried out from sausages make a light-coloured roux, pull away from the heat, add Hungarian paprika and finely chopped parsley, mix well, then mix in the minced garlic.
4. When the beans are soft, roux the soup putting some soup into the roux, mix well, and then mix the roux back into the soup. Bring to a boil again; add the most of the sour cream into the soup while stirring. Season with vinegar to your taste; add the sausage slices and the pasta chips. Add hot water if needed, and bring to a boil again, and simmer for some minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. When serving cut the hand of pork off the bone, dice. Put some meat into the soup bowls; ladle the hot soup on them. Add some fresh sour cream to the bowls, and then serve.
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!