From Patricia's Homepage
Really doesn't sound like it's going to work at all--but, oh, is it good. Serve hot as a meal to 4-6 friends or 3 Volga boatmen.
· 3 tablespoons barley
· 1 and 1/2 cups water
· 3/4 cup chopped onions
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 1 diced raw chicken breast (2 halves)
· 1/2 pound chicken livers, cut into halves
· 1 tablespoon flour
· 1 cup carrots, sliced into rounds
· 1 cup potatoes, diced
· 8 cups chicken broth
· 2 dill pickles, diced
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1 cup sour cream
· 1 bunch of fresh dill
1. Simmer the barley in the water until soft. Drain.
2. In a Dutch oven, stir the carrots and potatoes into the boiling chicken broth, reduce heat, and simmer until soft.
3. In a skillet, saute the onion in the butter until translucent. Add chicken and livers and continue to saute over high heat until the livers start to crust a little bit.
4. Stir in the flour, then pour in a little stock from the vegetables, scrape up all the good bits, and pour all into the stock pot. Also add the barley.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the pickles and the salt and pepper.
6. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls, then stir in a big tablespoon of sour cream into each bowl and top with fresh chopped dill.
This page translated into Hungarian on . Click on this underlined address to have it in Hungarian.
Need to help? (It's free and easy!)
Questions? eMail me from the first page!